Tuesday 22 March 2016

Grandparents Are a Gift

Going viral is often reserved for cat videos and awkward moments. Being terrified of cats and often finding myself the centre of the awkward moment though, I don't pay too much attention to what's currently "breaking the internet". But, this week's viral story struck a chord with me. The tweet showing a picture of a grandfather eating enchiladas alone after his grandchildren didn't turn up for dinner broke my heart. Not only was the story symbolic of a grandparent's unconditional affection for his grandchildren, but it reminded me of all of the times I must have done the same thing to my grandparents without even realising.

 
 
Grandparents are a wonderful gift, which many of us, myself included, don't fully appreciate until it is too late. I have always loved my grandparents, enjoyed days out with them building sandcastles and flying kites at the seaside in Tenby and playing endless card games in their lounge. I had my first driving lesson behind the wheel of their golf buggy, watched my grandfather get told off for carving my name into the Eiffel Tower and became the designated tour guide around my university campus in Reading. Yet, I can't help but feel that I should have appreciated them more when I was younger and spent more time with them as I got older. I suppose I thought they were these infallible creatures, unsusceptible to real world illness and troubles, and childishly believed they would always be there to  make me laugh, cheer me up, spur me on and make me see myself in the best possible light: through their eyes.

 
 
In the last six months, this childish belief system was rocked when my step-grandfather passed away and my grandfather was taken seriously ill. All of a sudden the status quo which I depended upon was no longer to be found and my childhood abruptly ended then and there. My grandmothers who had always doted on me, brought me endless cups of tea with sugar and biasedly pointed out my likeness to Kate Middleton and Katy Perry were suddenly the ones in need of comfort and care.



I am so lucky to have spent 21 years with the most incredible grandparents a girl could wish for. I will be forever grateful that every single one of my grandparents got to see me graduate from university thanks to their belief, support and love. I also know that despite  everyone no longer being able to be with me in person, or no longer being able to express it, there is no doubt that these wonderful people are my biggest fans and have enough belief in me to be the Prime Minister, an astronaut, a brilliant historian and journalist or anything else I want to be. In this difficult time I know that I have spent fantastic times with all of my grandparents, but will always wish I could have spent more.

So phone your grandparents, ask them about their day, eat 50 enchiladas if you have to! I'm already looking forward to spending some quality time with Grandma One and Two this Easter break, eating welshcakes, hearing about their childhood adventures and generally having a good giggle. This is a time of transition and moving on with memories of a lovely childhood. But, in spite of the sadness, I am blessed to still be showered with grandparents' love and there's a strange comfort in knowing that somewhere kites are flying in Tenby and my name is still carved in the heart of the Eiffel Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment