Sunday 14 February 2016

James Bond Boat Rides, to a Real Life Casanova: The Hearts Behind Cardiff’s Independent Businesses Share their Most Memorable Romantic Experiences

This Valentine’s Day, if your favourite chain restaurant is more densely packed than a One Direction concert and queues for stuffed animals and roses span the length of the Trans-Siberian Railway – fear not, I have the solution for you. Cardiff is renowned for its independent arcades, markets and restaurants. For every Starbucks in sight, there is an independent coffee shop waiting to tickle your taste buds with decadent Kenyan coffee beans. There are chefs ready to blow you away with their great-grandmother’s bolognese sauce recipe, and a family run florist on hand to sculpt you a bouquet that would make da Vinci scowl with envy.

Independent businesses are the beating heart of British entrepreneurship and can provide a more personalised and unique experience. Yet, they can often be treated like the ugly sister of mainstream chains. It’s about time that these independent businesses are given the fairy-god-mother treatment they deserve, and are transformed from being a pumpkin into a carriage, ready to transport Welsh lovers to the ball. So, if you’re looking for inspiration for where to celebrate, Cardiff has a variety of locations to suit couples going on their first coffee dates, through to planning a proposal. I investigate the best independent businesses you should visit this Valentine’s, and uncover their staff’s most charming, humorous and unlikely ‘once upon a date’ experiences:

Giovanni Malacrino, 48, Managing Director of Giovanni’s Restaurants
 

I’m a romantic Italian, and if it was up to me, I’d celebrate Valentine’s every week or month. One of my most memorable Valentine’s experiences was in Venice with my partner. We spent all day there eating, drinking champagne and feeding the pigeons in St Mark’s Square. We went on a gondola with a motor attached to it, so it was a bit more James Bond style. We also took a trip on the Orient Express. I got this note sent to me on the train which said, “Malacrino, what are you doing?” I thought it was from a hitman. My paranoid mind said, “I’ve come away for a romantic break, and I’m going to be murdered on the Orient Express!” I used to work on luxury cruise liners and it turned out that the maitre d’ was my ex-assistant waiter. He had sent me the note to get me thinking! We were really spoilt by him. Other passengers were asking if we were royalty or famous because we were getting so much attention. I think people forget how easy it is to stir up the romance. We need to appreciate each other, leave social media alone and focus on family - that would make life more romantic in general.

Address: 38 The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1AJ

Phone: 02920 220077

Website: http://www.giovanniscardiff.co.uk/

Email: onthehayes@giovanniscardiff.co.uk

 

Emma Hutchinson, 23, Supervisor at Buffalo Bar
 
I don’t know how to explain this story. My boyfriend was a bartender at Buffalo and saw me from across the bar. He’d said to the manager that he thought I was perfect! He wouldn’t let me leave. I was hungover, so he kept bringing me water, which then turned into Martinis! I’d recovered by then. He even made me a crown from blue paper towels, and then walked me home. This was back when we were romantic. He’s now the events manager and I’m the supervisor here. We’ve been together three years now.

Address: 11 Windsor Place, Cardiff, CF10 3BY

Phone: 029 2031 0312

Website: http://buffalocardiff.co.uk/contact/

Email: Contact@buffalobarcardiff.co.uk

 

Clare Baldwin, 35, Goldsmith at Brooklinde Designer Goldsmiths

I’ve been with my husband, Matt, since I was 17. We met at a local pub. He was dating my best friend at the time, and we went on a double date to Barry Island in his old Fiat car. My friend wasn’t fussed on him though. I left my umbrella in the back of his car, and he thought it was a sign. My best friend is now engaged to Matt’s brother and they have a little boy together! My husband isn’t really a romantic guy compared to some of the men who come into the shop and have these amazing stories to tell. My birthday is on the 11th of February, so it often combines with Valentine’s. For my 30th, we went to Nice in the south of France. It was so beautiful with the blue skies, mountains and sea. We’d been married a while and had been trying for a baby for about a year and a half, and I got pregnant on that trip.

Address: 20 High Street Arcade, Cardiff, CF10 1BB

Phone: 02920 232 854

Website: http://www.brooklinde.co.uk/contact.html

Email: contact@brooklinde.co.uk
 

Kasparas Alisauskas, 27, Manager of Waterloo Tea
 



When I was a teenager back in Lithuania, there was a lot of dating going on – good and bad. Once, I was dating a girl and her best friend at the same time. We’d even been out the three of us together and neither one realised! It wasn’t going to end well, and it didn’t. I tried to calm the situation down, but that didn’t happen. I had two girlfriends and ended up with none. I was a bit of a gigolo back in my day. At that age, you don’t know what you want. You move on to another girl and realise you liked the one before better, but you can’t go back – the door’s closed. Dating gives you experience and confidence. Bad things can always become good. You should take what you need from the situation. I learned the skill of juggling the conversation. There are no rules in love. If it works, it works. With my girlfriend now, it’s so easy. We moved in together after two months of dating.


Address: Wyndham Arcade, The Hayes, Cardiff, CF10 1FH

Phone: 029 2037 6249

Website: http://waterlootea.com/pages/contact

 

Donna Bridgeman, 30, Proprietor of Secret Garden Florist

I met Nicholas four years ago on a dating website in Cardiff. We’ve had a fantastic four years together so far. Last May we went away for a surprise holiday for my 30th, or so I thought. I found out the destination at the airport. We were going to Florence, Italy! He booked a fabulous hotel and we had the master suite overlooking the famous Ponte Vecchio Bridge on the bank of the Arno River. It was an amazing view. We had a couple of amazing days sightseeing and tasting the wonderful foods. Then on the Saturday we went to Giardinodell'Iris, a local botanical garden. We walked down to a pretty area where there was a bench, overlooking the whole city. There, Nicholas got down on one knee and recited Mark Twain’s ‘These I Can Promise’ poem, which he thought defined our relationship. He asked me to marry him, and of course, I said yes! He proposed with a handmade ring, that he had designed for me at a local independent jewellers in Cardiff. It was gorgeous. That night, we went for a lovely taster menu meal with lots of champagne to celebrate, as the owner already knew what was happening that day.


Address: 129 Cardiff Indoor Market, Cardiff, CF10 1AU

Phone: 029 2034 4419

Website: http://www.floristincardiff.com/

Email: secretgardencardiff@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment